Sunday, September 6, 2009

Back In the US!!

As I type this blog I am sitting at my desk in my house reminiscing about my experience. I am back in the US and I guess this will conclude my Indian Experience as well as my blog...(tear) 3 weeks really did go by very quickly. I have to admit, that in the beginning of my trip to India and even the middle of my experience, I did ask myself more than once "Why am I here? Why did I choose India?" I definitely had my doubts and no responses to these questions.

India really is an intense country with very little rules, or rules that no one follows. It is a free for all when it comes to driving, scenic places are hard to find, and there is so much extreme poverty right in your face all the time. However, as I stopped resisting everything that was so different from me and I slowly began to accept India for what it is, and appreciate India for what it has to offer, I suddenly found myself at peace and enjoying India.

Believe it or not, I would not mind going back to India, with all of its craziness. I know what to expect now and how to accept it. I don't think I would ever want to live there but I will be ready for it the next time.

I am so grateful, blessed and fortunate to have been able to go to India. I have always wanted to see another part of the world, another culture and another way of life. I was able to fulfill all of those things and I feel empowered to go back to school now, having had this experience. I am ready to study and learn about NGO's, now that I have worked for one. I now have a totally new perspective that I can add in my discussions at school and have a first hand experience working in the slums. After this experience I think I could go anywhere in the world and be ok. I already know what it is like to live and work in a developing country.

Thank you to all of you who have read my blog. I hope that I was able to entertain you a little and give you a little incite into the world of India through my perspective. I have to say that I enjoyed writing the blog and would love to do another on my next adventure. Take Care and God Bless!

2 comments:

  1. Chantelle,
    I have to tell you I too had a tear or two in my eyes as read your very last blog from your trip to India.
    All I can say is that I am so happy you had this experience. Not everyone can say they lived and worked in such a country, but you NOW can!! What a "rich" experience that you can now draw upon as you complete the next 9 months in your grad program. I am sure that it can only help you in invaluable ways.
    Thanks again for sharing your experiences with me...I enjoyed reading every entry!
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really amazed at how quickly you were able to adapt to such a crazy and different culture in such a short time. I would also like to visit India sometime. It would be neat if we managed to visit together. André would also be up for it!

    ReplyDelete